Wednesday, September 10, 2008

dead invoked for McCain

John Rich of Big & Rich is already well known as a McCain guy. He's written a song called "Raising McCain” which has become the campaign's anthem.

Rich has been saying that “I’m sure Johnny Cash would have been a John McCain supporter if he was still around."

But now daughter of the late Johnny, Rosanne Cash (about whom I've written here before), has stepped in to remind Rich and us that it's not such a good idea to recruit dead people to work for one political campaign or another. Here's what Rosanne said:

“It is appalling to me that people still want to invoke my father’s name, five years after his death, to ascribe beliefs, ideals, values and loyalties to him that cannot possibly be determined and to try to further their own agendas by doing so. Even I would not presume to say publicly what I ‘know’ he thought or felt. This is especially dangerous in the case of political affiliation. It is unfair and presumptuous to use him to bolster any platform.”

At a McCain rally, Rich had said: "Somebody’s got to walk the line in the country. They’ve got to walk it unapologetically."